As high-energy physicist by education, I am since more than two decades involved in the design, development and deployment of large-scale distributed data handling systems, raging from object- and relational-databases to distributed storage clusters.
Data and Analysis Preservation
- DPHEP & WLCG Data and Analysis Preservation Workshop (June 2021)
- Data and Analysis Preservation Workshop (November 2019)
- PV2020 at CERN (postponed - tentative in-person event 2022)
Data Center Analysis
Since WLCG went into stable operation, I spend a fraction my time with the statistical analysis of CERN computer center metrics in order to help optimising the efficiency of scientific analysis workflows.
Recent analysis areas included:
- analysis of storage media failure rates in a population of 90k disk units
- interaction between storage and CPU efficiency
- quantification of WAN latency impact on specific science workflows
Currently, I lead the Technical Delivery cluster of groups in CERN’s IT department which consists of:
- IT-CA - Collaborative Applications
- IT-CD - Compute & Devices
- IT-CS - Communication Systems
- IT-DA - Databases & Analytics
- IT-FA - Fabric
- IT-PW - Platforms & Workflows
- IT-SD - Storage & Data Management
- IT-TD - Technical Delivery
- 1995 PhD degree in physics, University of Hamburg
- 1990 Diplom degree in physics, University of Hamburg
- 1986 Physics and computer science studies at University of Münster and Hamburg
Other Roles and Memberships
- IT department representative in CERN’s Open Data Policy working group
- Part-time lecturer for Advanced Data Analysis at University of Lausanne
- Leader of the LHC Computing Grid (WLCG) project for persistency framework development
- Leader of the WLCG Distributed Database Deployment project
- Organiser of XLDB Europe 2013 and session organiser XLDB Europe 2017
- Program comittee chair of Computing in High Energy Physic (CHEP) 2012
- Invited reviewer at ESA (2001), NIF(2011) and LHC experiment (ATLAS, LHCb, CMS) project reviews
- Ph.D project supervisior or Ph.D thesis supervisor at (Univ. Vienna (2001), Univ. Paris (2006) and Braunschweig Univ. of Technology)
- CERN Summer Student Lecture Program Committee (2007-2013), responsible for computing related lectures
- ACM member
- Frequent reviewer of storage related publications
- Invited speaker at DevDays 2017 (Vilnius), CRUNCH 2016 (Budapest), UseR 2016 (Stanford), Apache BigData 2015 (Budapest), GOTO 2012 (Aarhus)
- Invited as external expert to ISAT Storage Meeting 2016 (New York), ReThink Big, Roadmap for European Technologies for Big Data, project meetings (2015)
- Invited lecturer representing the LHC Computing Grid at the first CERN – Thailand Computing School, Bangkok, Thailand 2010.
- Back-end storage - use as a true archive, WLCG Data & Storage Management Jamboree, Amsterdam, June 2010
- Invited CHEP plenary, Distributed Data and Meta Data Management, CHEP 2009, Prague, Czech Republic
- Petabyte Scale Data Management for LHC, Workshop on Data Storage, ESRF Grenoble, June 2008
- Presented CERN’s grid and database activities in a keynote talk by Intel CEO Paul Otellini at the Oracle Open World Conference 2007
- Lecturer at the 1998, 2001 and 2004 CERN School of Computing
- DEXA 2000 - paper on File replica consistency in a Grid environment, 2000
- Invited Talk about ODBMS Data Stores in HEP at the 2000 OMG ObjectWorld conference in Frankfurt, Germany
- Invited tutorial on Petabyte Object Databases at the 1999 ACM SIGMOD/PODS conference - Philadelphia, USA
- An up-to-date list can be obtained from Inspire.
- A older (status 2016) PDF version is available here.
- There are also a few links / references at my ResearchGate entry.