A high energy physicist by education, I am for more than two decades involved in the design, development and deployment of large scale distributed data handling systems, raging from object and relational databases to distributed storage clusters.
Today, I spend a significant fraction my time with the statistical analysis of data center metrics in order to optimise the efficiency of scientific analysis workflows.
Main areas of interest are currently:
- interaction between storage and CPU efficiency
- quantification of WAN latency impact of specific science workflows
- analysis of storage media failure rates in a population of 50k disk units
- 1995 PhD degree in physics, University of Hamburg
- 1990 Diplom degree in physics, University of Hamburg
- 1986 Physics and computer science studies at University of Muenster and Hamburg
Currently, I am leading the Analytics and Development section of CERN’s storage group, responsible for the design and evolution of CERN’s high performance disk pools for physics data analysis. I also chair a working group for Infrastructure Analytics in CERN’s IT department.
Other Roles and Memberships
- Part-time lecturer for Advanced Data Analysis at University of Lausanne
- Leader of the LHC Computing Grid (WLCG) project for persistency framework development
- Leader of the WLCG Distributed Database Deployment project
- Organiser of XLDB Europe 2013 and session organiser XLDB Europe 2017
- Program comittee chair of Computing in High Energy Physic (CHEP) 2012
- Invited reviewer at ESA (2001), NIF(2011) and LHC experiment (ATLAS, LHCb, CMS) project reviews
- Ph.D project supervisior or Ph.D thesis supervisor at (Univ. Vienna (2001), Univ. Paris (2006) and Braunschweig Univ. of Technology)
- CERN Summer Student Lecture Program Committee (2007-2013), responsible for computing related lectures
- ACM member and frequent reviewer of storage related publications
- Invited speaker at DevDays 2017 (Vilnius), CRUNCH 2016 (Budapest), UseR 2016 (Stanford), Apache BigData 2015 (Budapest), GOTO 2012 (Aarhus)
- Invited as external expert to ISAT Storage Meeting 2016 (Ney York), ReThink Big, Roadmap for European Technologies for Big Data, project meetings (2015)
- Invited lecturer representing the LHC Computing Grid at the first CERN – Thailand Computing School, Bangkok, Thailand 2010.
- Back-end storage - use as a true archive, WLCG Data & Storage Management Jamboree, Amsterdam, June 2010
- Invited CHEP plenary, Distributed Data and Meta Data Management, CHEP 2009, Prague, Czech Republic
- Petabyte Scale Data Management for LHC, Workshop on Data Storage, ESRF Grenoble, June 2008
- Presented CERN’s grid and database activities in a keynote talk by Intel CEO Paul Otellini at the Oracle Open World Conference 2007
- Lecturer at the 1998, 2001 and 2004 CERN School of Computing
- DEXA 2000 - paper on File replica consistency in a Grid environment, 2000
- Invited Talk about ODBMS Data Stores in HEP at the 2000 OMG ObjectWorld conference in Frankfurt, Germany
- Invited tutorial on Petabyte Object Databases at the 1999 ACM SIGMOD/PODS conference - Philadelphia, USA